The Elizabeth Richardson Center offers unique opportunities for adults 18 years of age and older to become involved in recreational and leisure activities throughout the year. The ERC has competitive teams playing in city sports leagues as well as dances, camping trips, and special events that promote social interaction, community integration, and just plain FUN! SEE CALENDAR PAGE FOR CURRENT ACTIVITIES.
- Special Olympics - The Special Olympics program is designed to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition for athletes 8 years of age and older with developmental disabilities. Many of the adults at the ERC choose to participate in one or more sporting events, such as:
- Softball - August through October
- Bowling - November
- Floor Hockey - December
- Special Olympics Winter Games - January - The Winter Games are held at the Jones Center for families in Springdale. Events include curling, floor hockey, and ice skating.
- Basketball - February
- Swimming - March
- Track & Field events, Bocce Ball (for athletes 30 year of age or older), and Power Lifting - April
- State Summer Games in Searcy, Arkansas - May
- Special Olympics Sports Camp at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas - Summer
- "Unified" Team Sports - Unified sports are designed for the athlete who enjoys competition in a community setting. These teams are made up of Special Olympic athletes and non-Special Olympic athletes. The teams compete in Fayetteville and Springdale City league play. This provides an excellent opportunity to become involved in the community and meet new people. The following "unified" sports are available:
- Fall - Men's and Co-Ed Slow Pitch softball teams play in the Springdale Youth Center's fall unified league. Games run from mid-August through late October.
- Winter - Co-Ed Volleyball teams play in the Springdale League (Recreational Division) from late January through March.
- Spring/Summer - Mixed adult bowling league plays at Springdale Bowling Lanes from mid-May through July.
- Leisure Activities* - For those who enjoy leisure activities after work or on the weekends, ERC offers programs that are scattered throughout the year. These activities are important in everyone's lives and include:
- Talent Shows
- Camping Trips
- Leisure pursuits
*Some of these activities may involve a minimal fee for service.
We believe that ALL individuals should have opportunities to participate in the leisure activities of their choice!